In July following torrential rains and flood waters at near-record levels, the golf course at Chevy Chase was forced to close. As the pictures will show, Tradition Golf Course looked more like a lake than a golf course for nearly two weeks. We had no idea what the full impact would be – but we knew it wasn’t going to be pretty.
- 14 out of 18 fairways were affected
- 8th green is 50% damaged
- 9800 rounds of golf lost (estimated)
- 36 Golf Outings that were affected
With the support of the Board of Commissioners, it was decided that Traditions will re-open at a time when play will not cause further damage and the golf experience is not compromised. A plan for restoring the course is already in motion:
- Week of 7.31 - Till, slit seed, and aerify fairways to promote oxygen flow
- Week of 8.7 - Seeding 15 acres of bent-grass and 25+ acres of rough
- 8.10 to 8.28 - Germination
- 8.28 onward - Mow fairways after 1” growth; roughs after 2.5” growth
There are many factors that can impact this schedule – most of them having everything to do with the cooperation of the weather! We will be using this web page and our Facebook page to keep you apprised of our progress. If all goes well, look for a possible opening date in mid-September.